The City of Slaton has historic ties to the railroad for decades the site was ranch land until the Santa Fe railway sought a location for a division point to service trains. The Santa Fe Railroad bought the land in April 1911, naming the town site for rancher and banker O. L. Slaton. Passenger and freight service became central to the small town's economy, and the company built a passenger depot and Harvey House the following year.
Scottish immigrant Fred Harvey created the Harvey House chain in 1876, partnering with the Santa Fe railway, which built the restaurants and provided space on their trains for food and supplies. Harvey provided the equipment, management and hospitality staff, including hostesses known as "Harvey Girls". The Slaton Harvey House served efficient, but elegant meals to 42 passengers at a time around a horseshoe-shaped counter on the first floor. Also on this floor was the kitchen, bakery, gift shop and manager's office. The manager, his family and the Harvey girls roomed on the second floor.
The Slaton Harvey House, a commercial and social center, operated for thirty years, briefly reopening to serve troops during World War II. The building remained a passenger depot until 1969; the railroad later converted it to a freight depot and operations center before vacating the property in the 1980's. Slaton citizens coordinated the preservation and restoration of their landmark building.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark 2007.